June 17, 2016
Do you love sitting on your apartment balcony or patio, but hate being attacked by bugs? Don’t fret. Following are steps you can take to make enjoying the outdoors more pleasant when the bugs are biting:
- Make sure that there are no buckets or empty planters left where they could collect stagnant water.
- Empty any standing water, and store empty containers upside down.
- Add a bird feeder to attract wild birds, which feast on mosquitoes.
- Use yellow bug lights on apartment balcony or patio.
- Light citronella candles or mosquito coils when using outdoor seating areas.
- Spray an herbal-based mosquito repellent on top of your clothing. Most herbal-based repellents contain plant-based oils such as citronella, cedar, eucalyptus, lemongrass, peppermint, basil, geranium and feverfew, which are mosquito deterrents. These are safe for use on children, who are highly susceptible to mosquito bites when running and playing outdoors at night.