Whether you live on the top floor or the ground floor of your apartment community, it can be hard to beat the heat in the summer and keep your energy bill low. If you’ve got one or more air-conditioning units in your apartment, start by checking the settings. Chances are, your units have more than just an on-off switch. Settings such as fan speed, auto, and timer can help cool your apartment more efficiently, which means lower electricity bills.
Here are some other simple, low-cost ways to save money and keep your apartment nice and cool all summer long:
- If you have one, use the ceiling fan regularly. Fans don’t require any more electricity than light bulbs.
- Close off unused space. Shut the door to closets, bathrooms, and other rooms that you don’t plan to spend time in.
- Close blinds and windows. During the day, make sure you close blinds and curtains to keep the sun out of your apartment.
- Turn off the lights. Keep the lights turned off when you don’t need them — and consider using fluorescent light bulbs, which produce a fraction of the heat.
- Restrict oven use. Using your stove and oven on hot days can raise the temperature in the kitchen and in other rooms nearby very quickly. Great time to use that outdoor grill!
Tags: General, MRG Apartments