December 7, 2019
Do you dread getting your electric bill in the mail every month? Even in the coldest winter months, properly preparing your apartment for cold weather can save energy, help keep your winter energy bills under control, and keep you and your family warm when temperatures drop. Here are some tips on easy changes that you can make:
- Keep the heat in your apartment lower. Lowering the thermostat by just one degree Fahrenheit can reduce energy use by 3 percent.
- Get a humidifier to add moisture to the air. Moister air feels warmer, so a humidifier can help you feel comfortable even though your thermostat is set at a lower temperature.
- Make sure the water heater is set no higher than 125 degrees.
- Only run your dishwasher and washing machine with full loads.
- Use compact fluorescent light bulbs. According to the Energy Department, if you replace all of your light bulbs with energy-efficient ones, you can cut your lighting costs in half.
- Open the curtains on sunny days especially south-facing window curtains, drapes and blinds. Close window coverings at night to keep the heat in.
- Keep doors and windows closed as much as possible.
Categorised in: Go Green