October 6, 2020
Observe Quiet Time
You and many of your neighbors may be spending more time at home these days. That means it is more important than ever to observe quiet time hours as required by your apartment community – typically from about 10:00 p.m. – 7:00 a.m. (check with your community to confirm exact times.) But be respectful of your neighbors even outside of quiet time hours. If you are experiencing noise issues with one of your neighbors, here are a few tips to help:
- Talk to Your Neighbors. This should be the first action taken, because sometimes people are just not aware of how loud they’ve become, and once informed, most people will quiet down. Just remember to present yourself in a friendly manner!
- Add Sound Barriers. Insulate your apartment walls with art, tapestries, curtains, and rugs to create a sound barrier between you and your neighbor.
- White Noise. Create white noise with fans, white noise machines, air filters, or air conditioners.
- Turn on Your Radio. If loud noises are particularly bothersome during day hours, try turning on some music to muffle the sound.
- Earplugs. For more serious sleep-time noise intrusions, earplugs can help tremendously.